Come to Merchant House Hotel, you will find us warm and welcoming,
whether you are doing business (dreckly) whilst feeling relaxed in our City Centre
escape zone or using us as the starting point for all your adventures, when savouring Cornwall’s food & drink, coastline, history and it’s incredible people, let us partner with you to take Cornwall to the max.
Here at Merchant House we pride ourselves to be taking part in many sustainable practices to reduce the amount of plastic used.
We are a member of “The Final Straw” and “Plastic Free Truro” working alongside Surfers Against Sewage, Biffa, South West Water and many more.
As well as joining our local Truro Business in Development Team on litter picks around the City of Truro we also have introduced recycling boxes in all of our 30 bedrooms to enable our guests to help us recycle.
We also are working hard to reduce the amount of single use plastics within the Hotel, please see below just a handful of the changes that we have already made;
- Switched from plastic straws to paper straws
- No longer sell plastic bottles of water, we only sell glass bottles of Cornish Water which a 50p donation goes to the RNLI.
- We have become a “ReFill” station for Truro allowing anyone to pop in and refill their water bottles with water for free.
- Stopped using plastic single use cups in the bedrooms and replaced with glass cups.
- Have switched from plastic pints of milk to a large milk purgal drastically reducing plastics
- We have just installed lovely new refillable toiletries throughout all 30 bedrooms rather than small plastic single use bottles.
These are just a handful of the many things we have achieved or plan on doing in the near future, however if you have any ideas that may help us we would love to hear from you…please email them over to [email protected]
Over the past 5 years owner, Nicky Whittaker, has always had a ‘chosen charity’last year we donated to Cornwall Search & Rescue who do an outstanding job around Cornwall’s Coastlines, and they are shown here stopping by for some Tea and Homemade Cake.
For 2018 our chosen Charity is:
Cornwall Hospice Care & Little Harbour Children’s Hospital in St Austell
As well as making a yearly donation we also raise money via sales of any furniture or hospitality items we no longer use as well as displaying a collection box in our bar area with a leaflet explaining what amazing work Cornwall Hospice do.
If you are passing or staying with us and have any loose change weighing you down please feel free to donate to this outstanding charity!
Stephy, from Marketing, also ran the Race for Life in Truro in July, which is a race to raise money for Cancer Research. This was Stephy’s 5th Race for Life and this year Stephy managed to raise a fantastic £85 in donations. Truro Race for Life managed to raise a whopping £42,000 just from registration fees from the 800+ ladies who participated.